Moving Shower - Venting Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Stephan Bond

Reaction score
I am doing a bath remodel which involves moving the shower across the room - currently 2 sinks, shower and tub drains are upstream from toilet - all feeds into same 3" pipe and is vented at the sinks with a 2" vent pipe thru the roof.

I am moving the shower across the room which means it will now connect to the 3" main drain using a 3" to 2" Wye PVC and Ptrap below the toilet.

questions:
1. given this layout, does the shower need special venting other than what currently exists,
2. if yes, the drain is centered in a 48x48 shower base, meaning it's 24" from the shower wall where one plumber told me I could install a 2" vent run into the wall right into the attic and cap it with a Studor vent cap.
he explained that flushing the toilet could suction out the shower ptrap and cause sewer gases to come thru the shower drain (only 1 of 3 plumbers pointed this out to me BTW so I am questionning the validity)
3. if i do need an extra vent , where would be the logical place to connect it?
4. regarding the 3" Wye to 2", should the 2" leg be horizontal to the side or at 45 deg or on top of the 3" pipe?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_9255.jpeg
    IMG_9255.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 166
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks