Moving shower drain a few inches.

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by piperca, Oct 18, 2009.

1. piperca

piperca New Member

This is what I've got. Where the lines on the floor intersect, is where the center of the drain needs to be:

[​IMG]

Using a 45 degree street elbow and a new P trap, this is what I came up with ... can I "legally" do this?

[​IMG]

Here's a side view:

[​IMG]

BTW: A big "thank you" to my wife for holding the pipe ... :D
  2. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

new drain location.

Post(s) deleted by John Whipple
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  3. piperca

piperca New Member

The line travels directly to the 3" stack.

I believe you're allowed 135 degrees change of direction ... I'm not sure how many degrees would be considered in this run.

I'm installing a Schluter Kerdi shower and will be using their drain.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

What about the vent?
  5. piperca

piperca New Member

This is existing. The shower drain runs directly to the 3" stack (36") without any vent. I believe it doesn't need any additional venting ... and if it does, I wouldn't know why, since it works perfectly without one.
  6. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

Venting your shower

Post(s) deleted by John Whipple
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  7. K.

K. New Member

My experience with the permit was as you imply. I had to insist on getting one at the permit office as they weren't interested in what I was talking about at all. Then when the inspector came for the rough-in work he also seemed relatively disinterested, certainly wasn't looking to bust me on anything like Mike Holmes might have! But the process definitely applies to a future sale; with the growth in do-it-yourself renovations that are facilitated by forums like this, especially this year with the stimulus spending (in Canada anyway), it makes sense that some agents are picking up on it as a negotiating point.

-Jonathan
  8. piperca

piperca New Member

No, I'm not selling the house ... I'll probably die here. The kids will get it, someday, and they can deal with any issues then, LOL!

I am making sure everything is acceptable under the code before I do it. I am a carpenter by trade, but plumbing is somewhat new territory for me. I know how to sweat/glue pipe, but that's it ... that's why I'm on here.

So, what's the consensus on the P trap; am I okay with it?
  9. piperca

piperca New Member

I couldn't wait, so I went ahead and installed it.

I researched and read that it doesn't matter what angle the trap is set at, since water doesn't know what direction it has travelled, once it has made the loop in the trap. The only angle that matters is the 45 degree fitting that is on the horizontal ... correct me if I'm wrong!

[​IMG]
  10. iminaquagmire

iminaquagmire DIY Senior Member

Try it. Dump a 5 gallon bucket quickly down the drain. If it drains okay with that, it'll drain okay with the shower going.
  11. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

Other than appearing odd, there is nothing wrong with it. I might have broke the concete back a bit and installed the trap directly to the horizontal arm, but that would just be a personal preference.
  12. piperca

piperca New Member

Thanks guys!

I agree, hj, it would have been better doing that, but I am done breaking out concrete ... I just couldn't bring myself to do it!