Moving/recessing basement cleanout?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by alterd, Oct 19, 2009.

1. alterd

alterd New Member

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of renovating my basement in my 1920's house, and there is a (cast iron?) sewer cleanout plug coming out of the slab at an angle to an exposed height of 3-4" -- exactly where the ideal new living space will be. I have already stubbed my toe on this thing about a dozen times as is, and am looking for options.

Its not practical for me to raise the floor, as I value the already limited headroom. Can this thing be recessed by jackhammering the slab and replacing it with something shallower?

Thanks in advance,

-don
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

cleanout

There is absolutely no way for us to tell you, until we know how the pipe is installed under the floor.
  3. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Put a coffee table over it :D
  4. alterd

alterd New Member

@hj... I am not sure I know how to find out how the pipe is installed, short of chiseling out the surrounding concrete...

FWIW, I have attached a photo that may/may-not shed some light on the issue

[​IMG]

The tape measure is being held at ~90deg to the floor.

Thanks,

-don
  5. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

That be the clean out for the main which runs somewhere under the slab. Digging it up may or may not solve the problem, depending on how deep the main is. I'm going to assume that there is a wye fitting directly below the clean out, so you may be able to remove the clean out and replace it above the floor somewhere.
  6. alterd

alterd New Member

There is a vertical line that runs along an exterior wall that presumably ties into this cleanout below the slab-- as they seem to be in line with each other.

Based on your comments above, does it sound reasonable that it may be possible to:
    - dig out the existing cleanout and cap it off below the level of the floor.
    - Add a new wye to the existing vertical pipe along the wall to serve as the new cleanout?

Thanks for all the help,

-don
  7. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

that would take care if it yes. Happy digging. :D
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

cleanout

The average GOOD plumber would only have left that cleanout that way if the Y fitting is right below, or close to the top of the floor. Otherwise he would have installed another fitting to turn it vertical. So, there is a good chance, once you open the floor, that you will either be stuck with what you have, or will have to remove the fitting and replace it with a piece of pipe AFTER you relocate the cleanout to an accessible location.
  9. alterd

alterd New Member

Thanks guys