Moving PVC vent on my roof!

Users who are viewing this thread

Pjl251

Reaction score
image.jpg
I have solar panels coming but I have a vent in the middle of my roof. Can I relocate vent to the right side next to gable? Installer says I have 22" from edge of roof to use. But is it ok to cut vent inside attic, add 90 degree elbow, extend vent vertical 20' then another elbow to go back up through the roof next to the gable?

Reaction score
The problem with bends in a vent is that you can get freezing in elbows and horizontals from condensation freezing.

When vent pipes are vertical, convection and gravity makes a big deal in keeping it clear during frigid winters.

Many think it is snow that blows into vents, but mostly it is its own condensation that ices up.

Pjl251

Reaction score
The problem with bends in a vent is that you can get freezing in elbows and horizontals from condensation freezing.

When vent pipes are vertical, convection and gravity makes a big deal in keeping it clear during frigid winters.

Many think it is snow that blows into vents, but mostly it is its own condensation that ices up.
Ok. So it's not an option. Thanks!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It depends on how much room you have in the attic space where the vent is. IF you 90 it over and can maintain the minimum 1/4" per foot of slope on the horizontal section before turning it back up through the roof, it would meet code and work fine. I suspect in your house it would be easier just to run it to the other side of the roof rather than out towards the edge. I am guessing that the panels are not going on both sides.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks