Moving Plumbing for Washing Machine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wakefield.Chris

Reaction score
First post...

Our washing machine is currently located at one end of our unfinished basement, and we would like to move it to the other end. My question is about venting. Right now, it goes washer to sink to vent to main stack. Were we want to move it to, the vent is on the opposite side of the main stack.

Here are two rough drawings I have made to illustrate what I believe is accurate. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Current Plumbing
Future Plumbing

Thanks,
Chris

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
In theory that would work. You need to branch off in 2", ensure your standpipe meets code, as well as make sure you are not disturbing any wet venting going on...

I like your taking the time to draw up clear schematics.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Actually I shouldn't say that you "need" to run it in 2". If this was a standalone setup, then you would need 2", but since this is branched off a laundry sink, you can still get away with 1.5", but I would just plumb it in 2" to reduce the chance of backing up as well as sudsing (which some people with this set up find very annoying) since it is easy enough to do so.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The way he shows it, it should be a laundry sink with the washer draining into it. Because it would not work if he tries to "T" the washer into the sink's tailpiece the way he actually shows it.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
This diagram is an excerpt from the BC plumbing code. BC's building code is the strictest in the country, so I assume that the NPC allows for the same since your washer was originally plumbed this way.

However Hj is telling you the safest way to do it to ensure you don't have any spillage out of the standpipe due to an unlikely flow restriction in the trap arm and sink strainer.

Attachments

• washer-hookup..jpg
    washer-hookup..jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 4,458
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks