Moving Plumbing for Washing Machine?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by wakefield.chris, Mar 27, 2010.

1. wakefield.chris

wakefield.chris New Member

First post...

Our washing machine is currently located at one end of our unfinished basement, and we would like to move it to the other end. My question is about venting. Right now, it goes washer to sink to vent to main stack. Were we want to move it to, the vent is on the opposite side of the main stack.

Here are two rough drawings I have made to illustrate what I believe is accurate. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Current Plumbing
    Future Plumbing

Thanks,
    Chris
  2. Basement_Lurker

Basement_Lurker One who lurks

In theory that would work. You need to branch off in 2", ensure your standpipe meets code, as well as make sure you are not disturbing any wet venting going on...

I like your taking the time to draw up clear schematics.
  3. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

While the vent may be shared, current code will require the sink and washer to each have their own trap.
  4. Basement_Lurker

...Canadian code allows his proposed installation.
  5. wakefield.chris

Phew... I was worried for a minute. Our house is only 3 years old. Thanks for all the great advice!
  6. Basement_Lurker

Actually I shouldn't say that you "need" to run it in 2". If this was a standalone setup, then you would need 2", but since this is branched off a laundry sink, you can still get away with 1.5", but I would just plumb it in 2" to reduce the chance of backing up as well as sudsing (which some people with this set up find very annoying) since it is easy enough to do so.
  7. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Sorry, didn't notice you were north of the border.
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The way he shows it, it should be a laundry sink with the washer draining into it. Because it would not work if he tries to "T" the washer into the sink's tailpiece the way he actually shows it.
  9. wakefield.chris

Thanks guys. The current setup was done by the builder, but I guess that doesn't always mean it is correct. ;)
  10. Basement_Lurker

This diagram is an excerpt from the BC plumbing code. BC's building code is the strictest in the country, so I assume that the NPC allows for the same since your washer was originally plumbed this way.

However Hj is telling you the safest way to do it to ensure you don't have any spillage out of the standpipe due to an unlikely flow restriction in the trap arm and sink strainer.

Attached Files: