Moving gas water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

stardog

Reporter
Reaction score
I have a gas water heater just inside the rear door of the house, inside a small alcove. To make this space more useful and efficient I would like to move the water heater approx. 5 feet to the opposing wall of the alcove. It obviously won't be any issue extending the water lines to the new location, but I am not sure about two other things that need to be considered.

1. The current water heater is located very near the gas inlet coming into the house, so the copper tubing connecting them is probably only two feet in length. If I move the heater 5 more feet away will it be an issue having to utilize a longer length of copper tubing in order to connect them? The tubing from the inlet will run along the baseboard and can be protected if necessary, but is it acceptable having such a long run of tubing running between the inlet and heater?

2. As far as venting, the current water heater vents directly from the top of the heater upward thru the roof. If I move the heater 5 feet away, will it also require a new vent thru the roof directly above the unit, or can I still utilize the old vent by adding a couple of elbows so I can reconfigure it to reach the heater's new location? I am thinking the answer to this question would be no, but just wondering out loud.

Thanks for anyone's professional input.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
1. You will have to bring gas to the new location (I like it to be within less than 2') in a rigid approved pipe (black galvanized), not in a flex. you will need to open walls for that. Then use a 24" flex to go to the WH gas valve. Max length of flex allowed in my city is 3'. Don't forget the shut off valve where the flex meets the pipe.
This job must be permitted, inspected, tested and signed off.

2. The vent can be re-routed. I prefer a straight pipe up thru the roof, which is not very hard to do. Also will look better,

Are you doing all work yourself?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I forgot one more thing: the copper pipe from the T&P valve should run to the outside.

stardog

Reporter
Reaction score
1. You will have to bring gas to the new location (I like it to be within less than 2') in a rigid approved pipe (black galvanized), not in a flex. you will need to open walls for that. Then use a 24" flex to go to the WH gas valve. Max length of flex allowed in my city is 3'. Don't forget the shut off valve where the flex meets the pipe.
This job must be permitted, inspected, tested and signed off.

2. The vent can be re-routed. I prefer a straight pipe up thru the roof, which is not very hard to do. Also will look better,

Are you doing all work yourself?

stardog

Reporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. No, I will have a professional do it. Just trying to get a better idea of the work involved, and more importantly the cost, and then decide if it is worth it. All things considered I may just leave as is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks