Moving garage sink and need to drain softener discharge...

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Fox

Reaction score
My softener drained directly in to the garage sink just above the p trap. The sink is now being moved inside to a utility room. I still have access to my washing machine drain tube/stack nearby. See pic of the wall section.
This is what I am thinking to do:
Add a tee on the 2" pipe and add an elbow out the wall and direct my discharge tube in the elbow.

Questions:
1. do I need a air gap between the elbow opening and tube?
2. could a funnel be used so the tube can get closer to the opening afraid of splashing as garage stuff will be near the elbow
3. Is there a "cleaner" way to do this?

The 't' into the drain pipe would be about 4' from garage floor/softener level. There is a P trap below where the 't' would be be mounted.

thanks Chris
softener drain1.jpg

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Air Gap is needed, this is called a Mr. Drain. This should eliminate most if not all of the splashing problem.
328.jpg

Chris Fox

Reaction score
Thanks Ditto. Another idea was to extend the discharge hose further down along the garage floor and in through the wall to where the new sink is located. Tap directly into drain with a branch pipe used for dishwasher. Is this a good option?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks