Moving an inground sprinkler head

Users who are viewing this thread

pjman

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips on moving an inground sprinkler head?

I plan on extending my patio cement slab. There are two sprinkler heads in the area of where I want to pour cement. Is this a job for the professionals or is this something an average handyman can do?

Thanks!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You do not want to have pipes under the slab, so that may require some pipe rerouting. PVC irrigation pipes are quite easy to work with other than the fact they are buried and it sometimes takes some detective work to find where they are. Once you find them and determine where the rerouted line will go, it is like playing with Tinker Toys. Don't try to salvage the old pipe, new PVC is way to cheap to mess with saving the old.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
pjman said:
Does anyone have any tips on moving an inground sprinkler head?

I plan on extending my patio cement slab. There are two sprinkler heads in the area of where I want to pour cement. Is this a job for the professionals or is this something an average handyman can do?

Thanks!

It's (almost) a no brainer.

Dig (give plenty of room to work), cut (hacksaw, PVC cutter), glue (clean dry fittings/pipe), test (ALWAYS TEST), bury (fill under pipes and compact well without breaking your new work), pop open a beer and tell the wife you you did (chicks dig home repair guys).

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
PVC is what the main line is comprised of. You may just have 3/4" poly tubing in the area you need to work with. If you're lucky, you'll just need to do some digging to dig up the old line and heads and move them to their new home. If you need to add or subtract from the line, get a poly tube cutter, a few clamps of the right diameter, a few couplings, and the required length of poly tubing.

pjman

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies. Moving the sprinkler heads ended up being super easy. For one head I only had to move the poly tubing which is really flexible. The second one was a little more work and that's because I had to move more tubing, both the poly and the the semi-flexible PVC. Everything is working great now and I'm almost ready to pour the cement :)

Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks