Move Shutoff Valve to Install Filter

Users who are viewing this thread

frozentax

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to install a whole-house water filter unit (very similar to water softener install). I have to install this outside, and am looking for some direction on how to make the appropriate cuts and what fittings to use. See pictures below of main line from ground going into the house.

Given lack of length going into the house, I'm assuming I'll need to shut off water at the street and move the shut off valve lower on the CPVC line so I have room to work with. Where should I make the cuts? Do you all recommend any SharkBite fittings for ease of install? Thanks for the direction!

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you are using CPVC, I would stick with glued fittings. Sharkbits aren't going to save you much there time wise.
You have a shutoff there, and I would run from that. there is space to install a tee there. The tee could replace the 90. I would use a new Male Adapter into the shutoff.
If you do shutoff at the street, you have the option of replacing the shutoff with a new one.

frozentax

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry!

So you're suggesting to cut out the 90 and replace with a tee, and remove the existing male adapter into the shut off. Trying to visualize this - so the new male adapter into the shut off would run into the intake of the bypass valve for the filter. The output from the bypass valve would hit one tee joint; the second tee joint is affixed to the pipe going into the house and the third tee joint is capped? Or am I missing the advantage of the tee here?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The reason to go to the valve with a new male, is that you have no room for a coupling there.
You do have room between the 90 and the wall for a coupling.

Or you may be able to just cut in a tee between the 90 and the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks