Move shower drain to other side of joist. Does it meet code?

Users who are viewing this thread

looking

Reaction score
I took out a one piece shower stall and to center the drain I have to move it to the other side of a joist, about 8 inches away.
Currently the drain runs between the joists. as show below
upload_2016-4-11_21-58-32.png

I plan to take the p-trap and move it over 1 bay, make a hole in the joist (understanding the rules about drilling a jost), adding two 90 elbows with a short section to get back to the original drain.
upload_2016-4-11_22-1-6.png
upload_2016-4-11_22-1-13.png

As long as it's slopped correctly is this OK? If not what would an alternative be?

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's a limit on how many turns are allowed before you are required to have a cleanout...that MIGHT be an issue, don't remember the exact total number of degrees allowed.

looking

Reaction score
Terry, thanks for the reply

The center of the new drain is 4" from the edge of the stud, too close to rotate the trap the full 90 degrees. If I rotated it as close as I could get then I'd be drilling at an angle though the joist making a hole bigger than the 2" or so allowed, or so I believe. Thoughts?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The center of the new drain is 4" from the edge of the stud, too close to rotate the trap the full 90 degrees.

Let's make this simple.
Push the trap on the shower drain first. No glue yet, we're just looking for a measurement.
Move the trap, or I guess I would say "swivel" the trap so that the 90 points where you want it. When you have that posistioned, mark the floor joist where the hole would go.
Drill the hole.

You may not even need to swivel it. You can point the 90 at a right angle from the trap, pointing toward the floor joist, and on the other side of the floor joist, that's where the other 90 would be.

looking

Reaction score
Thanks Terry, You're right quite simple. Just rotate the 90 from the p-trap, pointed to below,end that straight through the stud and pick it up with a long 90 to meet the existing drain line. Thanks again. FYI great website. Lots of very useful info.

upload_2016-4-12_7-37-55.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks