Move Outdoor Faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

whacka.thumb

Reaction score
I have to replace a leaky sillcock. It is in a dumb place. The tap is close to a tread on deck stairs that run up the side of the house. The hose reel is on the outside of the stairs.

Can I run copper from the side of the house under the stairs and put a tap at the end? I know I'd lose the benefit of a frost free sillcock, but it would keep water from spraying the wooden siding on the house every time the anti-siphon releases.

I've seen this done, but is it kosher? Is there a better way?

Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are going to not have a frost free sillcock, you need to do things the old way. You put a shutoff valve in the basement where it will not freeze. The sillcock needs a drain to let you drain the water out after you turn it off. Every year, before the freeze, close valve and open the drain port to drain the water into a bucket. Open the outside sillcock.

This may not be allowed now, but who is going to notice? Well, everybody might if you or your successor forgets to winterize some year.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could install a different type of frost-free hose bibb with a poppet style vacuum breaker. That type of vacuum breaker does not spray water all over the place. (Woodford Model 17)
poppet style VB.jpg

Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
A Woodford Model 25 and similar style faucets spray water all over the place if a hose is attached, the water is on, the hose is not open on the end and you turn off the faucet. When you turn it off prepare for a shower. If you leave the water running when you go shut it off, it may not give you a shower but a little will dribble out.

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/woodford-freezeless-wall-faucet-model-25.html

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I have never seen one of those. Thanks.

whacka.thumb, that little cap on the poppet valve type either unscrews or pries off. You can clean the innerds. You can replace them too. The store where you by the valve should have the repair kits.

Those can dribble, but they do not spray. If they dribble, clean it out. I use silicone compound on the gasket. If that does not fix it, get the kit.

whacka.thumb

Reaction score
Mine looks something like this. The vacuum braker is firmly corroded to the main body and the setscrew is between the outlet and the wall.

Attachments

• hosetap.jpg
    hosetap.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 215
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks