Move intake valve for Toto Carlyle- how hard?

Users who are viewing this thread

2sleepy

Reaction score
I ordered a Toto Carlyle and it appears that our intake valve is about 3/4 to 1 inch to far to the center. I guess the valve will need to be relocated and I will have to call a plumber to do it- any idea how long this job should take a plumber? Seems that if I don't have some idea of the difficulty of the job I end up paying alot more $$ than if I am somewhat informed.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It depends on how exact your rough-in is...the toilet doesn't actually run all the way back to the wall, there is a gap there. I think they make an angle stop that may allow you to shut it off without doing anything else. Measure from the bolts holding your current toilet in (or where they'd go if there isn't any) to the wall, then search out the specification sheet on the toilet to see where it will fall. It does make it easier if it is out where specified, but you may have enough room with what you have without doing anything. It might be hard to turn the handle because you have only a little clearance...

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Not sure is Dahl is available in your area, but they make a "Skirted" toilet valve.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

We cannot tell you what is involved in moving the valve, but if you "pay more than you should" it will be because you hired the wrong plumber, not because you did not know what he was going to do.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Also, since the back of that toilet is not vertical, it curves, it depends on the height of the supply, if you are lucky, you won't have to move it.

If the pipe is anchored to a stud, the plumer would have to tear out more drywall and drill. If it is anchored to a cross brace (if it is anchored at all!), it might be a 15-minute job....you won't know until you open the wall if you find out it will or will not fit as is. the suggested placement gives you clearance to easily get your hand around the knob on the shutoff...so, as close as you indicate, there may be enough as is.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With the Carlyle, the shutoff needs to be located at least 7", center to center.
If it's less than 7", it can be moved. With copper pipe, the shutoff can be removed, and a small section of 1/2" copper can be soldered on with a sweat 90 el.

abak_carlyle.jpg

TOTO MS874114SG Carlyle

Last edited:

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
I sell quite a few of these and no need to relocate pipe.

dahl_stop_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks