Mounting shower/tub valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Gitngoin

Reaction score
No dumb questions right....;)

When installing a single handle shower/tub valve how is the valve secured to the framing. The valve does not have "ears" on it. Do the pipes secure the valve?

Also, if the pipes (copper) hold the valve the straps are copper....are steel nails used? I know the straps must be copper to avoid the dissimular metals problems but what about the nails or screws that hold the straps. No dumb questions right?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Strap it with the clamps. Screws should last longer than you probably want to keep the thing unless it regularly gets wet. Condensation would speed it up, but inside a wall, there isn't usually that much humidity.

Racer814

Reaction score
they usually come with a mounting plate that secures the valve to the cover plate but I prefer to secure it to the framing .....will give the valve and esp. fiberglass enclosures a much more solid feel........

Last edited:

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
You can also secure the supply risers directly to the framing with clamps/straps. You don't need ears or mounting features on the valve body itself.

Gitngoin

Reaction score
chassis said:
You can also secure the supply risers directly to the framing with clamps/straps. You don't need ears or mounting features on the valve body itself.

Thanks Chassis......

Is the slip on tub spout the way to go or should I go with a brass NPT nipple? I tend to prefer the old ways of doing things but if the slip on is proven I'll do it.

TIA

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The slip on's work fine. Just, don't tighten the setscrew too tight, or you'll make it harder to get a replacement to seal when the time comes since it can distort the pipe. They make it much easier to get the projection just right. The screw on jobs work fine, too, but take more skill to install so that they tighten up with no gaps.

Gitngoin

Reaction score
Bending copper pipe??

Hello again.....hey pros, is it o.k. to heat and bend copper pipe to align pipes in the walls framing.....nothings perfect when adding new to old and a bit of "cheating" is needed.;)

TIA

Gitngoin

Reaction score
Single handle valve height

I have a single handle shower/tub valve and the instructions (I read them;) ) show an installation height of 26". Well, this old tired back wants this shower to be nice and easy...I want to install the valve at a height of 36 to 40". Is there any problem doing this? The valve includes a diverter.

Thanks much!

Oh....can you bend copper pipe without any future problems???

Michael

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Put it at whatever height you want. Bending the pipe is not recommended.

Gitngoin

Reaction score
jadnashua said:
Put it at whatever height you want. Bending the pipe is not recommended.

What is the reason for not bending copper pipe? If it is heated the chance of fracture in very small.

I'm in a bit of a bind on this "little" remodel. Need to "tweak" the pipe a bit.

Michael

Coz

Reaction score
valve

when you bend pipe you stretch out the walls making them thin. secure the pipes to the side studs with pipe clips about a foot down from valve. cut 2 blocks shaped like doorstoppers to fit snug between the pipe and the fiberglass and clip the pipe to the block (on the shower head pipe and at the tub spout)then when you tighten the faceplate it will hold the blocks. Thats how Ive done it for the past 20 years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks