Mounting floating style mirrors...

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Fox

Reaction score
I am putting the finishing touches on my master bath and need to mount mirrors to the wall. The mirrors are custom so there are no mounting points. I also want to mount these floating off the wall approx. 1"

My plan is to mount using a french cleat made from hardwood or use aluminum U channel. But not sure of what adhesive or mounting method for the back of the mirror w/o ruining the silver coat. Is silicone adhesive the way to go?
The mirrors are 52 x 27 x 1/4 thick so their pretty heavy.

Thanks
Chris

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd pay a pro to do that...one slip and it's toast, and maybe land you in the emergency room. the shop that did the custom work is probably your best bet for installation help and materials if you decide to do it yourself.

Squ1rrel

Reaction score
Also, there is Mirror Adhesive, specifically designed not to de-silver the back, usually available from wherever you got your mirror from. I know Liquid Nails makes a version of it, though I would recommend talking to the custom shop as well.

DIYFreak

Reaction score
Silicone is not a good idea. Mirrors are usually mounted with a mastic which is designed specifically for that purpose. Being a glass installer myself, I would highly recommend for you to consult with a professional for such work. Given the size of the mirror glass, you run a high risk of personal injury, and/or damage to property, if the job is done incorrectly, or if a mishap occurs during the work.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
mirror

Even with the mirror mastic professional installers use a bottom "J" channle and top clips to ensure safety. I am not sure even a professional mirror company would make that installation without modifying your idea somewhat. Such as making a standoff mount and then attaching the mirror to it. or using screws and rosettes through the mirror into a backing plate.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
As mentioned, ANY adhesive except the designated mirror mastic will affect the backing.

I would consult with your glass company on this. It seems to me that 1/4" thick is not thick enough to mount 'floating'. It will flex a lot when you wash it or bump into it. And I don't know if I have ever seen a glue up mirror which did not have the vertical load taken up by a j-channel or ledger. Again, let the pros at your glass shop advise on this.

Chris Fox

Reaction score
thanks for the input. The company who supplied the glass didnt have any concerns with my ideas.
These mirrors have been up for two weeks without any problems. I figure if these were to fall they would have already? However, I am planning to mount a couple of SS rods/standoffs (modern look) on the bottom edge for additional support.

chris

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
mirrors

1. As long as they were just furnishing them and not mounting them, they could care less what you did with them.
2. Just because they have been there for two weeks does not mean that whatever you mounted them with will not age and let the mirror come loose. The Minneapolis bridge and Singapore Hotel lasted for many, many years before they collapsed.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
The Minneapolis bridge and Singapore Hotel

A better example would be the "big dig" tunnel celling collapse.

Some types of glues and some types of epoxy can slowly flow and come unglued.

The concrete celling panels in the "big dig" tunnel were held up by rods that were glued into concrete holes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks