Mounting a water meter ?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Spydrweb1977, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Spydrweb1977

Spydrweb1977 New Member

2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Not all meters will operate correctly in the vertical position. You need to find the exact model and find out first. Either way though the meter should be hard piped on either the inlet or outlet for a distance so that at least two split ring hangers can be used to hold the pipe.
  3. Spydrweb1977

Spydrweb1977 New Member

Split ring hangers were what I was thinking, thanks or the input. I will verify the exact model and make sure it is good for vertical operation. Based on the literature on neptunes site, I think I will be good to go, but I will verify the model first and plan accordingly. Thanks again.
  4. Spydrweb1977

Spydrweb1977 New Member

Ok, so I verified the model as a 5/8 T 10, and per specs it has a "floating chamber design unaffected by meter position or in line piping stresses" so it looks like vertical mount is a go :) it also says it has bayonet style mount for the gauge allowing in line serviceability. Does that mean I can twist off the gauge and rotate its orientation? As is, the gauge will be upside down when it's in place... I don't mind that, just not sure if it affects the operation...
  5. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

never saw a rotateable readout. maybe a digital can do. I would call them.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It means the dial is easily removable, but that does not mean it can be oriented differently, but it could be if the "bayonets" are 180 degrees apart.
  7. Spydrweb1977

Spydrweb1977 New Member

Well, called Neptune today, and it looks like I'm doing a horizontal install after all. They said they have only tested the meter this way and would not recommend vertical, even though their literature states the design allows it.... Better safe than sorry... I can still flip the readout I I want though, apparently there a four position you can place it in with the bayonet setup.