Most likely a Dumb question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by molo, Dec 10, 2006.

1. molo

molo Member

Hi all,
    I have a question about running pvc drain lines and how to get the required slope. My question revolves around tying a horizontal into a sanitary T. The sanitary T connection comes off parallel to the ground. (90 degrees from the vertical). How can you run a pipe into this T, and achieve the desired slope for a drain? It seems as if the horizontal would be forced into a level position by the way T that you are inserting it into.

Probabaly a dumb question, but I ain't an expert.

TIA,
    Molo
  2. kordts

kordts In the Trades

You want 1/4" per foot pitch. If the pitch would be more, you use an offset to get the desired pitch and elevation.
  3. molo

molo Member

offset details

Thanks,

Where in the drin line do I install the offset? Is it a fitting that comes right out of the T?

TIA,
    Molo
  4. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

The combination of a PVC hub and pipe and wet PVC cement are very "forgiving", so to speak -- the hub is not going to make the pipe "snap straight". After applying the cement and inserting the pipe into the hub, simply hold the pipe at the correct slope for 20 to 30 seconds or so, then let it rest/hang on something that will keep it in that position. To make all of that fairly easy to do, I usually tape some kind of small spacer or block to one end of a level so the bubble will read in the center while the ends of the level are resting on the sloping pipe. If you want 1/4" per foot, just tape a small 1" block to the end of a 4' level, or 1/2" to a 2' level. I do not know whether that is any kind of trade secret not to be revealed, but you will probably be okay using it as long as you have a little glue on your pants at the time.