Most efficient way to rooter main drain.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by JeffH, Jun 26, 2006.

1. JeffH

JeffH New Member

My goal is to rooter as much of the main drain line as possible.

- Single story
    - One way clean out (to street) in front of house.

Should I start with the furthest LARGE drain (toilet in back of house)?

The furthest drain is the kitchen, but of course it's a 2 inch (won't accept large cable).

Thanks for you input!
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

Why do you want to do this??
  3. JeffH

JeffH New Member

It just seem to me...

that a main clean out should be located in both the front an back of the house. This would make it easier to move the clog (if in the main) from the back of the house, straight out to the street. If the clog was in front of the house, then you would simply use the front of the house access point. Since there is NO clean out in the back of my home, I asked the original question.
  4. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

sewer

It would help if you told us why that is your goal
    I'm at a loss to know why you want do what your saying. Just for the heck of it or do you want someone to determine if you have a plug inside the house or beyond the C.O. in the front yard and clean whatever is necessary?
  5. Cass

Cass Plumber

Is the line pluged?? Yes or no.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

The answer to your question is the reason most new codes specify two cleanouts outside the house. One to go into the building, and the other to the main sewer. But since the inside sewer is seldom a single pipe, and it almost never is the cause of a stoppage anyway, the one to the inside is seldom needed. Snaking a funcitoning sewer can be counterproductive, since if you dislodge material from the interior of the pipe, even with water flowing, the material may just lay in the drain pipe and cause a stoppage as normal sewage builds up behind it. When the sewer is in a backed up condition, the accumulated water will flush it out when the stoppage is removed.
  7. the most effficinet way

the best way is to have someone do it for you