Most Difficult, Most Challenging, Most Fun

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by BestVancouverPlumbing, Jul 28, 2014.

1. BestVancouverPlumbing

BestVancouverPlumbing http://bestvancouverplumbing.com/

Hey Everyone!

Just got a question for you: (For plumbing of course)

What do you find the most challenging for you? Plus, what are you currently doing to solve that.
    What do you find the most difficult?
    What do you find the most fun doing?

For me,
    I find simple changing the o-rings under the sink most fun
    Basically just searching videos online and so on

I think that the most difficult is if the basement leaks, I will totally not know what to do.

cheers,
    Eric
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

1. WE do not have basements, so that is not a problem here
    2. Very few things "under the sink" is "fun".
    3. The most challenging is solving problems for other plumbers.
    4. Difficult? As one plumber said to me, "Is there any job you won't tackle?"
  3. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Why is that?
  4. fullysprinklered

fullysprinklered Member

For me, roughing-in a bathroom in the attic is the most challenging plumbing task. I've done maybe a dozen of these in older houses in the Athens, GA area. If I go to the cemetery without doing another one, I'll be happy.

There's not much of a thrill factor in plumbing. If I solve a difficult plumbing problem I get a five second pang of joy and happiness, then I have to go do it again someplace else. I'd like to go dancing around the room high-fiveing everyone like they do on HGTV, but my self-respect wont allow it.
  5. hj

quote; Why is that?

I guess we just do not like to dig them.
  6. Earl

Earl New Member

I've thought about this. The explaination I came up with is that out here in the West we don't have severe winters with a deep frost line (with associated heave issue). Therefore, the builders are able to save expense and either go directly to slab on grade or use selected footing placements with a 1'6" crawl space.
  7. bluebinky

bluebinky Member

For me, the most challenging was learning how to vent properly. I think I got the basics now...
  8. craigpump

craigpump Member

I'm not a plumber, but

The most challenging is cleaning up a yard after digging a trench for the water lines

The most difficult is explaining to customers that the cheapest price doesn't mean the best job. As my father used to say "good work isn't cheap and cheap work isn't good".

The most fun for me is making a new customer.
  9. hj

quote; The most difficult is explaining to customers that the cheapest price doesn't mean the best job

When a customer questions my price, I tell them that I have the phone numbers for a couple of cheaper plumbers if they want them, but my price is nonnegotiable. As I told a customer recently when he asked if, "That was my best price", my reply was, "It is my ONLY price".
  10. craigpump

craigpump Member

HJ,

Don't you love it when people want to negotiate your price? What shuts them up is if you ask if they bargain with the grocery store, gas station or power company.
  11. hj

I guess they watch too many "pawn shop" TV shows where haggling is a way of life. But then there are "shopping gurus" who tell people "Everything is negotiable".
  12. bmwpowere36m3

bmwpowere36m3 Member

I think it's always good to ask, sometimes CASH talks... sometimes not.
  13. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Not a pro, but for me, the answer to 4 of your questions might be putting in a basement sump and pump for ground water where there was no sump before.
  14. craigpump

craigpump Member

BMW yeah cash is good, but when there are materials involved, there is a paper trail for the IRS to follow..