Mosquito control through irrigation system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bassadict69

Reaction score
I have a large yard that will have 6 zones. We live on the lake and have a HUGE mosquito problem. I spray my yard every couple weeks with a permethrin mixture and it keeps them controlled.

I have been looking at the mosquito injection systems online but am wondering if my yard is too large for something like this. We are drawing from the lake and each zone will run for about an hour at a time.

How is this stuff dosed? A constant feed? Small doses every few minutes?

I do not want to invest in one only to find out I go through the chemical too fast having such a large yard.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I have no experience with large lots, but I do know that pretty much any rainfall or watering after I apply localized mosquito control renders it useless.

Bassadict69

Reaction score
Same thing with the permethrin I spray on the yard. Luckily, this time of year, any threats of rainfall are mostly far fetched!

That is another thing I was curious about...if the zone waters for an hour and the chemical isn't being distributed that last minute, but only water, I am thinking it would simply wash away or dilute the chemical in the yard too much.

It sounds like a great idea in theory, but I have too many questions about it...

I did look at one that you have to hold down a red button on the controller to disperse the chemical. I am thinking that may not be too bad for periodic treatments when needed, as long as the system doesnt need to be flushed afterwards which would simply flush it all away once again!

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Probably the reason that you have mosquito problems is because all of the fish and frogs get killed off using that BS near a lake.

A co2 system may work better.

Last edited:

Bassadict69

Reaction score
I am sure the garlic based one really does a number on em...Lived here all my life and plan to spend the rest of it right here, last think I would do is something to harm the lake. LIGHTEN UP!!!!

DonL

Reaction score
I have the same problem here.

I also have Bees and I just let them Bee.

The birds are good managers, after the berries are gone.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Those spray systems (the ones I looked at) are not intended to (but could) keep the entire yard mosquito free - most people just spary around the patio/pool areas.
I was looking at this model http://www.mistaway.com/ which sprays a mist from piping along the house eves. I don't know much about this particular brand. Several of my neighbors have them and like them.

Bassadict69

Reaction score
For the record, permethrin is not used near the lake...probably not closer than 150ft or so.

We have lots of birds including purple martins...if they really do eat lots of mosquitos, we would never know it!

Bassadict69

Reaction score
I have looked at those also and know of several people with them on their houses and even one on their boathouse. They have no mosquitos, wasps, spiders, etc around the house.

Bassadict69

Reaction score
If you know of something safer, I am more than willing to try it out...I would love to find something to spray around my boathouse to keep away the mosquitos, wasps, and spiders that I fight down there constantly.

DonL

Reaction score
Holy Shit Batman.

That is cool.

We have bats, Not sure where they stay during the day. In the Barn maybe.

They are a bit cool at night when you can hear them flying and squeaking.

They are so cute.

If you play that audio it will scare the Mosquitoes away.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would look into a propane fogger, or if you wanted to avoid insecticide, look at Mosquito Magnet and Skeetervac.

joscarver

Reaction score
Maintaining a larger yard is a difficult task. The breeds of mosquito are different and for certain breed specific chemical needs to be used. Generally used chemical is Larvicides.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks