Mortar under swanstone showerpan

Users who are viewing this thread

shamrock_94

Reaction score
I'm installing a new shower pan, and from reading these boards, I can see that most recommend bedding the pan in a mortar base. I see that most like the method that calls for a few piles of mortar and pressing the tub/pan into the piles. My question is specifically with the swanstone pan I'm using. The underside of the pan is a grid of 3-4 inch squares that contact the floor, rather than the small contact points that seem to be common. In this situation, would you still bed the pan in mortar? If so how would you go about it? Since the grid is across the entire pan, the mortar would not have any place to "squeeze out" as in the other installations. Any opinions?

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi,

When I did my 32x60 pan I used a full bag of mortar mix. It ended up inside all of the "combs" (inside of the grid) on the unit and made for a shower pan that literally feels like you are jumping on a solid block of granite. I wouldn't use one of them without the bed. Ever.

elgato

Reaction score
I just received my 54x34 Swanstone Pan. I am surprised at how lightweight it is. Laying on a perfectly flast floor it flexes and squeaks when you step on it. I would never install one of these without the mortar bed.
This is a link to a photo of the underside of the pan.

swan-pan-on-side.jpg

The grid is approx 1/2" high at the edges and almost 0" at the center.

Any recommendations on mortar spreading technique for this pan?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks