Mortar Glass Block Shower

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by bighornram, Oct 14, 2009.

1. bighornram

bighornram New Member

I'm enclosing a corner shower construction with a glass block wall. The wall has 2 angles which will cause the outside mortar joint to be a couple inches across the outside edge of the wall. Is this acceptable to have a big mortar joint like this? Documentation states to make mortar joints 1/4 which I am doing on the straight runs but these corners have the bigger gap. :rolleyes:
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

corners

Doesn't the glass block come in angle pieces, or is your angle an unusual one?
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Many suppliers of glass block have both outside and inside corner blocks...you really want one of those to make it look neat and reliable. A huge expanse of mortar would not look good and focus your eye on it. It would also be likely to crack.
  4. bighornram

bighornram New Member

I have just returned from my hunt for the corner blocks. I <can> special order them. I am going to mortar the corner, and inlay tile. I'm hoping the tile which I will cut from the stock I'm using on the walls and floor for the shower will "accent" the glass.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

My guess is that will look better than a big expanse of mortar, but will still look like a kludge. Good luck, as once it's up, you won't want to tear it down to put in the corner blocks. I'd consider mocking up a section...you could probably use some tape and stack the blocks with the tile inlay...see what you and the better half think. You could probably stack them in a room's corner to provide support and emulate the shower wall (without the light from behind). The corner blocks are likely a lot more money than the straight ones, but probably worth it.
  6. bighornram

bighornram New Member

Point well taken. I am a perfectionist and I would forever look at those tiles and think I should have done it the "right" way.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

tile

It is not so much that YOU are a perfectionist, as whether some buyer for the house in the future was a perfectionist and would wonder, "Who in the world did THAT?"
  8. bighornram

bighornram New Member

Thanks for the "focus". That is why I put this post up,
  9. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

Glass Blocks on an angle

Do they make the right angle for your Job?

If you are filling in the large void you are going to see some or alot of cracking through the block into that void.

make sure if you go that route you fill in those voids with diamond lath, and the vertical mini rebar lengths. I might pick up some white tile and cut fill strips first leaving them back 5/8 from the finished edge then fiber tape it and set your accent tile. You need full coverage of White Glass block mortar between the glass blocks but I might say that outside corner you will want to set with Granny Rapid White.

Attached Files: