More Questions on Bath Remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Bigbobdallas

Reaction score
Let me see if I can Explain myself. First I have a second bath, which has a small 3x3 shower and right beside it there is a cabinet, 2' wide to the ceiling, which is a towel cabinet. Now what I am going to do is tear out the cabinet remove shower stall. That will give me a 5'x3' open spot. Now since the shower has a cast iron drain in center. I need to know what or how could this be change over to accept a drain only for a Washer. My plan is in this area frame it in on the bath side and open it up on the other side and put my washer and dryer in this area. So now as far as the center drain I know it will have to be routed back a little to get it by the wall so the washer will fit, and put the drain by the wall. What kind of plumbing changes do I need to doget this to work. I hope this makes since. After I get answers on this I will ask the next questions. O by the way I have a slab foundation on my 1963 home in Dallas, just FYI

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Surely others will reply and have different or alternate information. My thoughts are that it should have a trap just below the floor drain. I would remove the drain and trap, decide where the new drain for the washing machine is going to be located, this is the point at which you need to locate the inlet of the trap. The drain will have to be routed/extended to the outlet end of the trap and it will need to have a 1/4" per foot drop. If I recall correctly the washing machine drain needs to be 1 1/2" pipe extended 28" above the floor. In some seriously nice apartments I worked on the contractor used nice washing machine boxes which has the water supply and drain recessed in a box in the wall. The bottom of these boxes were exactly 36" from the floor. I assume the shower is already vented and it should be suitable for providing a vent for the washing machine connection.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower

Because the shower drain could have been installed in any of several ways, the answer to what you have to do to adapt it for a washing machine will depend entirely on what you find when you remove the shower and open the walls.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks