Monoflow vs. Strait loop

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Peter57, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Peter57

Peter57 New Member

Hi all:
    I'm replacing a 60 year old copper/monoflow system with PEX, and am considering a strait through loop. I could use some advice.

The heating is for the first floor, 1 zone, about 750 sq. ft. I plan to branch off from a common 1 inch PEX feed into two 3/4 inch loops of approx. same size. The baseboard is Hi output slantfin (80) with 3/4 inch copper. Strait thru is so much simpler than monoflow, but are their disadvantages with strait thru? Why was monoflow even used in the first place? Am I doing the right thing??

Also, do I need bleeders in a strait thru loop? (I will put shutoff valves in each zone)

Regards, Peter
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  2. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

With monoflow Tees, you can shut off each baseboard radiator without shutting off the flow for the entire loop. If you have no need to be able to shut off individual radiators in the loop, I don't know if you'd need those tees. I never worked with PEX, but I've read that the effective sizes are different than those of copper because of the wall thickness, so you'd need to go up a size to get the same flow rating.
  3. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Go with loop piping, there is way less pump head loss. I would bring each loop back to the boiler manifold rather than split 1" pex.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; Go with loop piping, there is way less pump head loss

I doubt that that is true because a Mono-Flo system uses a larger main "loop" which creates LESS flow restriction.
  5. Peter57

Peter57 New Member

Thanx. I don't really need to shut off each baseboard. I've resched the PEX wall thickness and you're right, it is a bit smaller.