Monitoring depth to water in well

Users who are viewing this thread

TJanak

Reaction score
Is there a safe and reliable way to measure the depth of the water table in my well? It's 4" pvc cased with submersible, probably 80 ft. I would like to monitor the water level because of this drought we are in.

I can't think of a good, simple way that would work. I can picture a weighted rope getting all wrapped up in the wire, etc.

Dad has several hand dug wells about 30' deep and we check them regularly with a steel rod hung from some rope. They are dropping and also not recharging nearly as fast.

All of the smaller municipal water supply companies around here use well water and they report no significant drop in levels recently. I believe they are in a different aquifer though, maybe 800'?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Drop a small diameter pipe of known length down into the water. Apply air to it until the pressure levels out. Calculate the depth of the pipe in the water based on the formula of 0.43 PSI per foot.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Run a small plastic hose to 10 ft or more below the water and a 60# to 100# pressure guage and a small bike tire pump. Google "Well Water Level" and go to extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/pdf/ec/ec1368.pdf. They have a detailed page on how to set it up and do the test. With this you can monitor the water level and pumping level anytime you like.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I always run a piece of 1/4" poly tube along with the pump wire. I leave it open ended and even with the top of the pump. I just tape it to the pipe with the pump wire. A 1/4" tee at top has a Schrader valve and a pressure gauge. I use a bike pump or a small compressor to blow the water out, then the pressure the guage read tells me how much water is standing above the pump. 1 PSI equals 2.31 feet. So if the guage reads 10 PSI, I know I have 23 feet of water above the pump. If it only reads 1 PSI, then I only have 2.31 feet of water above my pump. It keeps working on a decreasing water level, but you have to add air to see an increase in water level. I guess you could also weight it and drop it in beside the pump, instead of taping it to the pipe with the wire. I use this method to test wells. I have used it on wells that are 2,000' deep. I just had to use a tank of nitrogen to get enough pressure because my air compressor only give a 100 PSI or so.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Run a small plastic hose to 10 ft or more below the water and a 60# to 100# pressure guage and a small bike tire pump...
With the exception of the 60 or 100 PSI gauge, you are suggesting the same thing I am. Why such a high pressure gauge when the expected pressure 10 feet below the water is just 4.3 PSI? I was thinking a tire gauge would do the trick.

TJanak

Reaction score
I never thought of using the water column pressure to find the depth; sounds like I'll have to give it a try. With my 4" pump in a 4" casing I would have to drop until I hit the top of the pump. And figure out a way to weight the tube so it would not get caught in the wire and drop pipe. Or just wait until I pull the pump some day.

Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The 1/4" poly only cost me about 10 cents a foot. It is a cheap adder to any pump install, then you can always get the water level. What got me doing this is testing wells. The electric drop meter will pick up the first moisture coming from the perferations and makes you think that is the water level. The air tube only picks up a positive water level. Changing water levels or water sloshing around doesn't affect it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks