Mold - Probably Old News

Users who are viewing this thread

ScrewedByNCGC

Reaction score
My wife was complaining about severe headaches for the last few weeks. She was told it was allergies and instructed to take antibiotics but it didn't seem to help. She got another opinion and was asked if she had been exposed to mold lately. After I heard that, I went down to our crawl space and took these pics. I'm interested in constructive comments based on experience with HVAC especially in humid states (i.e. midwest to southeast US). Note: A/C is ten years old - has had strong musty smell starting with second year of use.

Attachments

• blower_chassis_and_backwall.jpg
    blower_chassis_and_backwall.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 268
  • blower_mould.jpg
    blower_mould.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 263
  • brittle_foam_insulation.jpg
    brittle_foam_insulation.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 272
  • copper_inlet.jpg
    copper_inlet.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 262
  • copper_input_tubing.jpg
    copper_input_tubing.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 266

ScrewedByNCGC

Reaction score
More pics. Powdering material was actually foam. It became brittle for some reason. Most of the silvery insulation material inside was "crispy" and tore easily; behind it was dried out, mouldy foam. This is a Trane heater/air handler in the crawl space, TW036F14 I think.

egress_duct_mould.jpgegress_ductwork.jpgenchilada.jpgfilter_channel.jpginsulation_under_blower.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might want to check the leveling of the thing...the drain won't work properly if it isn't level, leaving excess moisture in there. How often do you change the filter? What type do you use? A filter that allows much past it, either because of the fit or type can add to the problems.

This works better with the variable speed air handlers (or furnaces), but I leave mine with the fan on all of the time. Because it is a variable speed controller (it has something like 16 speeds), it is quite slow, doesn't take a huge amount of electricity, is pretty much inaudible, and helps to clean the air and dry out the interior better. It only ramps up to a higher speed when it calls for heating or cooling, then ramps back down to that slow speed.

Mold take three things: moisture, food (filter bypass crud), and the spores (but they're essentially everywhere). Cut off any one thing, and mold can't grow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks