Moentrol Shower Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeke

Reaction score
I have a Moentrol Legend model 3175P that was installed in the mid 1980's. Over a period of time we've noticed decreased water pressure when the single knob in turned towards hot (counter-clockwise). If I stand outside the shower and test the valve (fully opened) you can see the difference in the stream when you rotate from hot to cold. The maximum pressure position is at 2 o'clock on the cold side. Always better pressure the the cold side of center.

So, that means to get the temp we desire the pressure is lower than we like.

Other circumstances:
1. Used to have great water pressure throughout house - maybe slightly lower due to increased building in our area over the years.
2. Not sure if we have a pressure reducer or not. If so it's not visible, but main valve is mostly hidden in a basemant soffit.
3. Brand new hot water heater - do difference in performance.
4. Water heater in basement of single story home - shower in question is on first floor one level up.
5. Balancing spool was replaced at one point maybe 8 or 9 years ago by me. I was talked through it by a plumbing supply dealer as I'm very inept at this sort of thing. Cannot remember if cartridge has ever been replaced.
6. Tested 2 other showers (same valve) in house and they vary in pressure little or none if rotated from hot to cold as described above and have OK pressure.
7. Have not called Moen yet.

Anybody have experience or suggestions with this type of behavior?

Thanks...

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
replace your balancing spool and while you are at it, replace the cartridge

moentrol-exploded.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks