Moen Valve leaks after replacement

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by coopns, Aug 31, 2013.

1. coopns

coopns New Member

Very old Moew shower valve. Was leaking out of handle so I took it apart and replace the cartridge. (Old cartridge was stuck in there battle to get it out). So I flushed it out, put new cartridge in and it is soooo much smother to pull handle but now there is a small drip out of the tub spout.

What should I do/look for? Cartridge not back far enough? I thought it was, I put the little clip on top.
  2. dj2

dj2 Member

Could be the way you inserted the cartridge. You can repeat the process and see if you stop the drip, but...
    You said that the faucet is very old. I wouldn't fix a very old faucet, but replace it.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If you have used the shower head, it can take 35 minutes to quit dripping.
  4. coopns

coopns New Member

Thanks for that. but seems like it is more then a drip, seems like more leak like.

I was thinking when I put the cartridge back in, I didn't but an O Ring in first, then insert the cartridge, was I suppose to? The old one I couldn't tell, because I had to pick away at it/was stuck but it was black at the end, would there have been a washer/o ring up against the brass, then the cartridge with its O rings.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

NO, you just make sure EVERY old part is out of the valve body and then slide the new one in. BUT, how did you get the old one out, since it was a "battle"?
  6. coopns

coopns New Member

Battle? PB Blaster, in/out back/forth. Thought I had it out and it snapped up, about top 1/4 stuck in there. So I took a 5/8's drill bit and lightly unscrewed and that chewed it all up. Then there was more and I used a screw driver and lightly tapped the stuck piece and that eventually broke it up.

So I had to take the old out. So I took the new cartridge out to see if I could see anything and the rubber was ripped off. Bugger. So went to Lowes and put a new one in, but I but some teflon tape around where the rubber was and poked a hole though where the water comes out, thought it might protect it from the burrs inside the hole. Worked. Lovely Sat. project. Be done in 1/2 hr honey. 4 hrs later. Done.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; thought it might protect it from the burrs inside the hole.

If there are "burrs around the hole" that is probably the reason for the leak. The bore has to be smooth, therefore the core has to be extracted WITHOUT using "force", chisels, screwdrivers or etc.