Moen tub spout leaks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Daddio

Reaction score
Hi I'm installing a new Moen Kingsley diverter tub spout and it leaks out the back. Allen screw was snugged enough to cut into the pipe. I checked the o rings and they look ok.

Do I need some sort of sealant or lubricant here?
Will tightening the allen screw a lot help? I am worried it will punch right through the copper pipe. Could i grind the screw shorter so it clamps the plastic rings without cutting the pipe?

Or is there something else that I am missing?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You may have distorted the pipe enough by tightening it too much so that the o-rings cannot make a seal anymore. The setscrew is only there to hold the thing in place, not make a seal (at least on the ones I'm familiar with). If the pipe is not round and smooth without dings or scratches and the o-rings intact without cuts or nicks in them, it is hard to impossible to get a push-on spout to seal.

moen-kingsley-tub-shower.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Daddio

Reaction score
Doesnt look distorted, though I see what you mean.
Could smoothing the pipe with emory cloth help? Or some kind of lube or sealant? teflon tape?
Or does someone make oversize o rings?

Cant replace copper pipe stub without busting brand new tile...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF there is a burr on the end of the pipe, it's easy to slit the o-ring when pushing the spout on. The pipe surface needs to be smooth for the o-ring(s) to seal. Really fine emery cloth might help, but probably not. If it's no longer round, you may need to find the screw-on version of that spout and solder on a threaded coupling. Getting it just the right length can be a challenge so the spout tightens up against the tile and doesn't leak. For a slip-on spout, I don't think there is anything you could add that would help with the seal. You may want to call Moen and see what they have to say.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks