Moen Tub/Shower piping size & cartridge replacement...

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Why did I try this?, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Why did I try this?

Why did I try this? New Member

Hi,

My original tub/shower piping is 1/2" i.d. but then goes down to these narrow elbows into a Moen 1016p valve body. Is it standard to have the pipe connect in the valve body instead of o.d. of the valve body?

Thank you
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

A picture may be nice. Are you talking about street 90 bends into a Posi-Temp valve?
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Many shower valves have male threads to accept a female threaded connector from the supply line. But, the inside of that valve is often bored out to accept the pipe in as if it was a coupling (i.e., it is the proper sized socket for accepting the supply pipe to be soldered in). Without seeing what you have, it probably is okay, but we'd need to see it to be sure.
  4. Why did I try this?

Why did I try this? New Member

Here it is Valve.jpg
    My guess is that it is 3/8" i.d. The outside appears to be 1/2". The actual bent part, not the elbow openings.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The connection IS 1/2", but then they connect 1/2" PEX to it which DOES decrease the i.D. to about 3/8".