Moen shower valve moans

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by ahosh, Feb 9, 2012.

1. ahosh

ahosh New Member

Hey Guys,

I have a Moen shower valve in my home's main bathroom. I am currently renovating my master bathroom and to re-run soem plumbing and rough in the new shower valve, I had to turn the main house valve on and off a few times. Now the Moen shower valve in the main bathroom moans when I move the lever to the hot side. It is a single handle and it seems to make the moaning noise anywhere along the warm water side.

Any ideas why or what I can do to fix it?

Thanks!

Andrew
  2. JerryR

JerryR Member

Call Moen at 1-800-289-6636 Describe the problem to them and they will send you a free replacement cartridge kit.

Just had same problem.

Jerry
  3. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

Good answer Jerry!

JW
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The problem with that answer is that if it is a Moentrol valve the noise could be in the pressure balancing spool and a new stem will not cure it.
  5. JerryR

JerryR Member

I just got around to replacing my Cartrige. Last week I attempted to break it free with the plastic "tool" included in the kit. No way would it budge. I called Moen and they sold me the REAL TOOL for $25 and shipped it FedEx.

I sprayed the old Cartrige with some PB Blaster 2 days ago. Tonight, With the REAL TOOL it came out. That tool works like a bearing puller where you can apply pulling pressure and at the same time slightly twist the cart. That did the trick.
  6. JerryR

JerryR Member

Mine was a positemp from 2001.