Moen Shower Valve Just Keeps Spinning and No Hot Water...

Users who are viewing this thread

FakePlumber

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

This is my first post and I have been reading the forums for the last hour or so, you all know your stuff :)

So here's my problem. My girlfriend has an old Moen shower valve (the kind that looks like a tear drop and you pull it out towards you to turn on the water, turn left and right for hot/cold) in one of her showers and it just keeps turning and there's no hot water.

I took it all apart and the screws aren't stripped so I know the handle is ok. Sorry for my ignorance but I don't know what the inside part is called so I'll post some pictures.

It looks like it's permanently fastened inside the wall... Hot water is fine everywhere else in the house.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Again, sorry if I'm not clear but like my name says, I'm just a fake plumber :)

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,324
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,011
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,645

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That would take the Moen 1225B or a 1200 replacement cartridge.
It's a pretty simple valve. Unless you have something stuck in the hot side of the cartridge, it should be working. It's not pressure balanced.
To remove it, turn off the water, remove the chrome tube, and pull the retainer clip up and out. Then you can pull the cartridge out.

moen-2600-parts.jpg

Last edited:

FakePlumber

Reaction score
That would take the Moen 1225B replacement cartridge.
It's a pretty simple valve. Unless you have something stuck in the hot side of the cartridge, it should be working. It's not pressure balanced.
To remove it, turn off the water, remove the chrome tube, and pull the retainer clip up and out. Then you can pull the cartridge out.

Cool, thanks! Now all I have to do is figure out how to shut off the water, lol

FakePlumber

Reaction score
If you can't find the shutoff, we sometimes turn it off at the water meter.

Thanks Terry! I really appreciate it. I'll try to figure out how to shut off the water. Thanks to you, I'm going to get girlfriend points, lol

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks