Moen shower head cold water only after shower remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

bwallace2

Reaction score
I remodeled my shower tile and left an existing moen shower head/faucet and water lines in place. What I didn't do was make note of where the temperature regulator/limiter (white plastic gears in the pics below) was set when I took the unit off the wall to start the remodel. I also don't know if the handle was in the down position for OFF when the unit was originally installed. Assuming the cartridge is installed correctly H on the right and C on the left, I would think the handle when installed is pointing down when the unit is off and not water is running.

I've tried numerous locations for the limiter positioning. All I get is cold water, weird off positions and then an on position on each side and a weird off in the middle... I'm wondering if my moen cartridge went bad and is causing all cold water or if I just need to find the right temperature limiter placement.

What I've read and thought was the temp limiter should line up at the top and the handle (as seen in pic 2 and 3) and the faucet should be pointing down in the off position. The handle would turn counter clockwise and the H or hot to the left and colder to the right. with about 270 degrees of turn on the handle.

Here's some pics.

IMG_0438.JPG

IMG_0441.JPG

IMG_0442.JPG

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You initial premise is FALSE. Hot is on the lelft and cold is on the right and the handle points UP. But none of that would stop either the hot or cold water from flowing. That indicates you have a bad balancing spool in the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks