Moen shower faucet started to drip

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by piezomot, Oct 27, 2012.

1. piezomot

piezomot New Member

Questions to an expert.

My Moen shower faucet started to drip. It was installed 5 years ago. Please see enclosed picture. New Moen faucet the same one I have installed is shown on the right and the new is cartridge 1222B is shown on the left.

HD would supply free cartridge with lubricant, this is the third cartridge 1222B I have changed so far in this faucet since it was installed. But it will continue to drip a bit, even I lubricated it with enclosed lubricant. Then I went back to HD and got another one installed- the same problem.

I am just wondering how this copper faucet could be worn out if cartridge is made from plastic? What else could it be?

Also I notices some debris in shower water was present. This was very unusual, my neighbor was doing house renovation. I refer to this post-

"...These Moen cartridges are very sensitive to foreign debris, so its very likely that the new cartridge may have been damaged in the install process..."
    http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?33251-How-to-fix-a-dripping-Moen-shower-faucet&p=238479&viewfull=1#post238479

If this is the case, how can I clean this 1222B cartridge inside?

PA274600_moen.jpg

P just googled similar problem here coud it be lubrication issue or new cartridge design issue?- http://www.************.com/forum/p...moen-posi-temp-cartridge-1222-b-problems.html

"...I got a new replacement cartridge from Moen and it came in a plastic bag with a part number of 1222 B on it. It looks similar to the original cartridge however it does not have a second "O" ring at the rear of the cartridge. Also, the large flat rubber gaskets(?) on the sides are smaller than the original. I put it in and turned on the water and it worked. Except that it would not completly turn off. There's a constant trickle now from the faucet. No matter what I've tried, it will not completly stop. I have tried to turn the brass stem to every possible position to see if that would help but no matter what I try, it still trickles.
    Any ideas?
    Keats Arizona..."
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

You can flush by turning the water back on briefly with the cartridge removed. Clean with a soft cloth poked with a soft wooden stick.
    The cartridge with the extra o-ring at the nose is usually aftermarket, not oem, and they are troublesome.
  3. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

If there is a scratch or burr on the inside of the housing, it can prevent the cartridge from properly sealing and/or damage the cartridge's sealing surfaces. I use a hone to clean and polish the inside of the valve , and then thoroughly flush the housing before lubricating and installing a new cartridge.
  4. piezomot

piezomot New Member

My problem was resolved, the lubricant supplied with the cartridge (see the picture below) is very thin, I removed the cartridge and added the plumbing silicon grease, it has higher viscosity, also I lubricated under black rubber gaskets and all wholes in the cartridge too. Plus I added this silicon grease inside the faucet a bit. This solved my original problem. Thank you for all your help.
    PA284601sm.jpg
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

When I replace Moen cartridges, I remove them from their package and push them into the valve body, and I am done, with no leaks.
  6. piezomot

piezomot New Member

I am not a plumber, but even with my little experience, I noticed that Moen 1222 B cartridge sold lubrication, and if it is used like this it will not rotate freely inside the faucet.

see also: http://www.daenitzhaus.net/2010/05/bath-tub-faucet-repair.html

IMG_9427.jpg
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012