Moen replacement cartidge - plastic or brass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Quack

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Here's the story; I had a leaky Moen shower faucet, so I replaced the cartridge. While at the big box store, they had 2--the brass and the plastic. The salesman said either would work, but he said if unsure, go brass, so that's what I bought. After I got home, I removed the old one (which was a lot easier said than done.)

The old one was plastic--probably installed in the 90's as far as I could tell.

Now that's its working, I read a few forums, and people are saying that the plastic is better because it doesn't corrode as bad--especially if you have hard water. Considering how hard it was to remove the plastic one, I'd hate to have to remove a corroded brass one...

So should I go back and replace my brand new brass cartridge with the plastic? I do have hard water, but I have a softener... For $15, I'm open to replacing it...

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
If you call Moen's 800# they will send you one free of charge.

John

pasco-7040.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Leave what you have for a while, if it is working fine. I would schedule to replace it after a couple of years, before it gets more difficult to get out.

Brass is ok, I like plastic...but above all.....use only genuine MOEN cartridges. Although the aftermarket parts scene is generally OK, this is one where the OEM has is noticeably easier to deal with and will outlast a generic. IMHO.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The brass one will last 3 times as long as a plastic one, and COULD be harder to replace, but that is not a given, especially if you have the correct removal tool(s).

moen-1222hd-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason the plumber

Reaction score
Brass vs Plastic

I like the brass. Just be sure to grease it prior to installation and it should not give you any problems.

Although rare, I've seen a couple of plastic cartridges on Moen showers which would not stay out/on and after a minute or so they would retract back in and basically turn itself off. Granted they are warrantied, but this has never happened to me using a brass cartridge. The fact that brass parts are still available is really what sets Moen apart in my mind. The seals also seem to rip more easily when removing the plastic cartridges.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks