Moen Posi Temp Shower Valve Install (No Plaster Guard)

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Gmann, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Gmann

Gmann New Member

Is there a rule of thumb for installing a Moen posi temp valve with no plaster guard to use as a reference for proper depth placement? I'll be installing 1/2" hardie backer and tile that will total approximately 7/8" in total combined thickness (I think) on top of framing. I was hoping someone could provide me with a measurement as to how far the front of valve housing should protrude beyond the framing. Please see attached photo.

Attached Files:

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Go to the Moen site and look at the specifications for your valve. it will give a measurement from the face of the wall to the center of the pipes. As a practical matter, as long as the retainer clip is outside the finished wall, it should work.
  3. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; an install can meet specs but not look right.

"Looking right" is something that is in the eyes of the beholder. But, once it is installed to specifications, any change is at an additional cost.