Moen Posi-temp installation

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Rob418, May 12, 2014.

1. Rob418

Rob418 New Member

I am installing Moen Posi-temp mixing valve in a new shower. As I look at the mixing valve assembly I am really concerned about the flow that
    the small orifice for the shower is going to provide. This is a shower only installation. Is there any problem with plugging the shower outlet and
    piping the tub fill outlet to the shower head. This is part # 2510 and im not sure what the GPM rating for the shower is, but the tub orifice looks to be twice as big.
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Rob

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2014
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

You could use the tub port, but keep in mind, unless you modify any showerhead, they are all restricted to a maximum of 2.5gpm, and the smaller port should provide that easily.

Some of the valves can be inverted, and to keep the hot/cold working properly, you can rotate the cartridge so it's still correct. The instructions talk about that, if it's possible.
  3. Rob418

Rob418 New Member

Jim,
    Thank you for your response. I had thought about inverting the mixer valve, and rotating the cartridge, but wasn't sure if I was violating some rule of plumbing. The directions that
    came with valve doesn't address the valve rotation. I'll call tech line today
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Moen valves cannot be inverted. They have a "ridge" on the stop tube that MUST be on the top, otherwise all the trim will be upside down.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Install correct side up, and if you feel you need more volume, plumb from the tub side.
    I never do.
  6. Rob418

Rob418 New Member

Oh yes I see the ridge.. ok, I will plumb with correct orientation. Thank you for the heads up!