Moen posi temp cartridge issues

Users who are viewing this thread

scoker54

Reaction score

I just installed a new Moen Positemp (off brand) cartridge and there are two things going on with it. First, when I use it I can hear faint but rapid vibration coming from it and can feel it in the hand depending on the hot / cold ratio. I am not sure how to correct that one. Also, the other issue I am having is that when I turn off the water the handle seems to be able to go past the off mark by an eighth of an inch or so and then drips. If I move it back a touch towards turning it on then it stops dripping. how can I set that to correct for the margin of error?

Thanks!
~Steve

scoker54

Reaction score
I fixed the drip issue with adjusting the temp regulator backwards to not let it go that far. I am still having the issue with the vibration between hot and cold. it really sounds like a mini pump or something. you can feel the vibration off the handle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes it's the shower head.
Pull the head and repeat and see if anything changes.
I have even used a drill bit on the flow restrictor to re-tune the sound a shower head can make.

scoker54

Reaction score
The shower head is probably getting replaced later this week so good to know. Would I be able to feel the vibration in the handle attached to the cartridge in the case the shower head is messed up? Headed to disconnect it now and test. Thanks!

scoker54

Reaction score
I took the head off all together and I am still getting the noise. I can feel the vibration in the handle when it hits that hot cold mix. any suggestions... I did grease the cartridge when I put it in. I did notice on the replacement cartridge it didn't have the back rubber gasket like the one I pulled out. there was a spot for it, but nothing on the new one.

Thanks,
Steve

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I did notice on the replacement cartridge it didn't have the back rubber gasket like the one I pulled out. there was a spot for it, but nothing on the new one.

moen1222.jpg

I only use original Moen cartridges.

Last edited:

scoker54

Reaction score
So in your picture there is the right ring and on the one I pulled out there is also a left ring, but there isn't one on the replacement or even the moen brand ones. Should I take the old seal off and put it on the new one? can't hurt right? I think I am taking out the generic one and putting an original moen one in.
thanks for the advice. At the end of the day I should have just spent the extra $9 and I probably wouldn't have had an issue. :) life lessons right.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is how they make the new ones, without the bottom "O" ring. The vibration sounds like it is the balancing spool going crazy, but not sure if it is because of a bad cartridge or some condition in your house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks