Moen Outdoor hot/cold frost free silcock?

Users who are viewing this thread

-Christopher

Reaction score
http://www.moen.com

Has anyone ever installed one of these Moen outdoor frost-free faucets? I need to add an outdoor faucet and have been looking for a hot/cold silcock. This single handle model looks very appealing and simplistic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They've been around for awhile, so someone probably has experience with them...

-Christopher

Reaction score
It's good to hear that its a product that hasn't been fatally flawed.

I'm also considring replacing one of my existing POS hosebibs near my 500gallon hot tub with a 3/4" MPT x 3/4" HPT frost free silcock to improve the flow and lessen the time it takes to refill that tub every few months. What is the flow rate of 3/4" vs. 1/2"?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most of the limitation is in the hosebib itself.
Whether you use the 1/2 thread or the 3/4, it's the same size opening that the water goes through.

Running 3/4 up to the hosebib, does lessen noise and should give a bit less friction loss.

I haven't installed the Moen hot/cold faucet yet.
I see that it takes a larger hole through the siding.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I installed several before they reworked them. I really missed not having them available last year. They have now put them back out and I've done 1 since. My main installation is for a beach cottage outside shower... I figure I install the hosebibb how was I to know they were putting a showerhead on a hose... LOL

ryker

Reaction score
Happen to see this forum this morning, joined just so I could respond to this. Just put in this H/C moen. Does not work at all, I have it on full hot, and the water is just luke warm, way to much cold blowby, I have called moen and they have a complete new inner cartridge on it's way to me, and it better work when I put it in, or I'm going to be really bent. The moen rep. said that there is a 10% allowable leakage of cold water inside the unit that still has it within specs. I told the moen rep. that the copper pipe right behind the unit was very hot because of the hot water, but with the handle turned to the full open-hot side, I put my hand in the stream of water and I would call it below body temp. (having been a scuba diver). Said I would have new insides by the 14th. Let you know if that solves the problem.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
This Woodford Model 22 just might be a better choice.

woodford_22_install_2.jpg

http://www.woodfordmfg.com/woodford/Wall_Faucet_Pages/Model-22.html

Whats even nicer is the 2008 model has, Internal resetting pressure relief valves that will prevent each casing tube from bursting in freezing conditions even if a hose is unintentionally left on.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Redwood is right
The Moen has an adjustable temperature limit stop in case you use the faucet to wash your dog.
You wouldn't want to scald your dog.

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Cass has the best answer

woodford_22_install_2.jpg

That woodford faucet with dual handles is the best way to go... they are nice.....and they are simple

I honestly doubt that the Moen hose bib will last through one winter with out it freezing up in that inner cartridge...

Unless the Moen faucet is only supposed to be installed in warmer climates , and is never subjected to sub zero temps

it is bound to fail eventually..in time it has to fail...

I looked at the specs for the Moen, too many parts to fool with ..... they got to be nuts.

-Christopher

Reaction score
Thanks for the informative responses and additional options. From them, I take that there's a feeling that a more traditional separate hot/cold valve facet is appealing to some for both a functional difference and simplicity in less things possible to break. Ohers seem to like the moen, or perhaps will like the Moen after they adjust the temperature safety setting.

I'm going to give the Moen a try. The clean look and moen lifetime warranty with the ability to service the unit in place is very appealing to me. Eventually I'll be closing up the inside accessibility of that area in which that silcock is installed (a shutoff will be reachable though).

Thanks!

evanob

Reaction score
I’ve had a trouble-free Moen hot/cold spigot for my hot tub for 11 years. Today, it would not turn in the hot direction. There was a mechanical block. It’s not leaking. Cold water direction works fine. Guess I’ll have to change the valve when it’s warmer outside.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I’ve had a trouble-free Moen hot/cold spigot for my hot tub for 11 years. Today, it would not turn in the hot direction. There was a mechanical block. It’s not leaking. Cold water direction works fine. Guess I’ll have to change the valve when it’s warmer outside.
Probably mineral buildup on the hot. Hope yours is accessible

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks