Moen Monticello. Trying to Remove Bathroom Faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

LordWilling

Reaction score
Hello,

I am turning to this form and the professionals for help on this. I am simply trying to remove a 3 hole, 4" bathroom faucet and install a new one. However, I am having a hell of a time figuring out how to remove this from the counter. I've watched countless YouTube videos and thought this would be easy. I disconnected the water lines and was able to pull off one of the handles(as seen in the pics I've included). However, there appears to be some type of plate at the bottom but there is no nut/bolt that I can see that is holding the faucet in place. I can wiggle the faucet from the top a little bit and turn the spout a little as well but I cannot figure out how to simply pull this faucet up from the 3 holes in the counter. I have attached 2 pics. Can anyone give me any type of advice or suggestions as to what I should do next?

Thank you so much in advance!

20161126_183135.jpg
20161126_183516.jpg

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good Goddamighty, Smooky, where did you find that video.
Anyone who finds that as funny as I do, go to youtube and look up Benny Lava.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good Goddamighty, Smooky, where did you find that video.
Anyone who finds that as funny as I do, go to youtube and look up Benny Lava.

I know the video isn't hitting on much but it does show the hex key. There may be a better video cause I didn't look too hard. I linked the installation instructions so hopefully he can figure it out.

This video added 6/16/2018

Last edited by a moderator:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I recognized the faucet once I saw the video. Yeah, all he's got to do is back out the allen screw in there. It's a quick install concept that tightens up from the top side.

LordWilling

Reaction score
Smooky, thank you SO much. I didn't even know the manufacturer until you told me. The video helped ALOT because it showed me which tool I needed and you were able to recognize it as a simple hex key. Do you know if I can buy this tool at somewhere like Home Depot? FullSprinklered, thank you so much as well for letting me know I just need to back out the allen screw. You guys saved me on this project. Can't thank you enough!

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hex Wrench 7/32” , I think.

Moen part # 103462

You should be able to find 7/32" Hex Key/Wrench that will work at the hardware store. One with a "ball end" might be better.

Last edited:

LordWilling

Reaction score
Ok guys, once again, thank you so much for helping me get this far. I got the spout and the handles off. The ONLY thing that is holding me back from removing this faucet are the retaining C clips. They are badly corroded and they are facing the wall/mirror so I can't try to put a screw driver in there and hammer them out. Any ideas on how I can get these C clips off? I can take a pic and upload it here if that would help any so you can get a better idea of what it looks like. Just let me know.

Thanks so much in advance again!

P.S. Smooky, I went to Home Depot about an hour ago and bought an entire Hex wrench set with the ball end. Took a few different tries at the sizes but finally found the correct size. Just gonna return the whole set once I get this faucet off lol. Thanks for your expertise!

Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
A picture might help.

Put the tip (or the side of the tip) of the screw driver against one end of the "C" clip. Use both hands on the screw driver to pry/ move the "C" around. Keep messing with it till you get it off

Last edited:

LordWilling

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I can't really access either end of the clip with a screwdriver because there is simply just not enough room/space to put it at the correct angle to pry or hammer. Here's a pic:
20161127_112859.jpg

MKS

Reaction score
Then some form of hook tool. Ice pick be careful, cotter key hook or something similar improvised.

LordWilling

Reaction score
Thanks MKS for the suggestions. I tried to stab the hell out of it with multiple screw drivers and ice pick. It's so corroded in there. I put some Lime Away on it and still didnt budge. Then, I pulled out a DRILL and tried to drill a hole to atleast get a piece of it going. Nothing. Not quite sure how a cotter key hook would help get that corroded clip off though. Maybe you could explain how I would go about using that.

LordWilling

Reaction score
You can drill a series of holes on the outer ring and split it.
Sounds like a good idea. I did attempt to drill some holes but didn't have much luck as the smallest drill bit was still too big and it didn't drill into the actual clip but into the threads instead. Maybe I was doing something wrong...Will attempt again but not sure if that will work.

LordWilling

Reaction score
Nope. Impossible to drill out. Any other suggestions? I'm desperate at this point. This is ridiculous. Very frustrated.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hold the screw driver with two hands. One on the handle and the other hand at the screw driver blade. Put the tip of the blade in the slot where the c-clip is located. Pull the screw driver back till it presses against the end of the clip. You should be able to pull the clip out. .... You could do the same thing with the cotter key hook as MKS suggested.

moen 11 27 16.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

LordWilling

Reaction score
So I ended up putting the screwdriver on the bottom washer and hammering the hell out of it until it split into the hole. I then pushed up it up from under the sink with a smaller screwdriver. Then, I took some vice grips and bent the washer back until I could remove it. Once the washer was gone, the sink finally slide right down and out of the counter holes. I'm now at the end but need to go buy 16" faucet connectors to hopefully complete this project as the old ones were only 12" are now too short to connect to the new faucet lol.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me. I cannot thank you enough!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks