Moen Kitchen Faucet leak

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by bakechad, Feb 16, 2007.

1. bakechad

bakechad New Member

About a year ago I installed single handle pull-out Moen kitchen faucet. Overall it has worked well, but about three months after I installed it, a small amount of water would seep out of the area between the handle and faucet body when I turn the faucet on. Not enough to cause a major problem, but enough to leave water stains all over the faucet. The amount has steadily increased over time.

Do you think this is most likely the cartridge or are there other seals in there that can fail? I know I need to disassemble it, but I would love to know what to look for before I take it apart. Also, if the parts I end up needing are cheap I would rather get them while I have the faucet apart rather than waiting for a warranty parts shipment.

Thanks

Chad
  2. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

Could be the cartridge or an o-ring on the swing spout.

Take the handle off and pull out the cartridge's stem and watch.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

faucet

It could be the vacuum breaker. If so, that part has been discontinued and if you call 1-800-BUYMOEN they will send you the parts to upgrade your faucet.
  4. Racer814

Racer814 New Member

usually a faulty vacuum breaker will leak down through the valve body...but it could still be that....could also be the cartridge....call Moen and tell them to send you both....
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Moen

The last one I repaired the lower "O" ring forced the water up out of the upper area.