Moen Kingsley Shower not very hot

Users who are viewing this thread

Jed1154

Reaction score
Its a new install and I know the tankless water heater that supplies that shower will get so hot you can't put your hand under it. However, in the shower, the handle goes all the way to the left and the water is hot, but not hot enough. Guests have complained and I think its a problem. The little white 'inner gear' has a 'tab' on it that is situated at 12 oclock. IS this the adjuster? If so, what's the process? Moen website and manual only tell me how to go COLDER from there...not what I need.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Pull the handle off and move the stop tab.

moen-kingsley-tub-shower.jpg

Last edited:

Jed1154

Reaction score
I did. That's the max. I actaully took it out altogether and the handle moves no further. I guess my faucet that is marked at 2.5GPM is not the same as my shower marked at 2.5GPM. Shower must be closer to 2.5 GPM and the faucet must be closer to 1.5-2, because it gets screaming hot. Shower gets barely over 100. Guess the tankless heater is too small.

Just choked the water down at the water heater. It's better, but not stellar.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What size and type of tankless unit? What is your incoming cold water temperature? What you're seeing seems typical of an undersized tankless. Or, you're trying to use an older showerhead that uses more water than the new regulations mandate (or you drilled out or removed the restrictor). You may find that just picking up a low-flow showerhead may resolve your issue.

Jed1154

Reaction score
Its a 14kw heater. My water temp coming in is about 65-70, and at 2.5gpm, the label on the heater says 38* rise, which is consistent with what I am seeing in the shower. The shower heads are NEW. Do they make some that use less than 2.5GPM? That doesnt really help the spigot. If I had known that, I would have installed one of those moen valves that lets you adjust the water blend separate from the water pressure....that would have been sweet. Oh well. Any other easy solutions?

I have multiple tankless heaters, all are small ones. I have a 12KW, a 14kw, and a 15KW. The 12kw serves a shower in another part of the house, and by god you can peel your skin off if you arent careful. My 15kw will do likewise. No clue why the 14kw can't keep up. Very odd, different electronics I guess.

Last edited:

MikeQ

Reaction score
I have multiple tankless heaters, all are small ones. I have a 12KW, a 14kw, and a 15KW. The 12kw serves a shower in another part of the house, and by god you can peel your skin off if you arent careful. My 15kw will do likewise. No clue why the 14kw can't keep up. Very odd, different electronics I guess.

If you have hard water, minerals can build up on the heating elements and act like an insulator. Turning the max temperature to a lower setting will reduce the rate of deposition of minerals. I have 41 degree incoming water (very cold) and a 29 kW on demand water heater that easily keeps up with two simultaneous showers (both running at 118 degrees). One of the shower drains has a heat exchanger on it and, when I finish the third shower I will test it to see whether it can do three simultaneous showers. My guess is, it will due to the Power Pipe heat exchanger on one shower.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks