Moen hydrolock - how to open it?

Users who are viewing this thread

jillians

Reaction score
For the second time in two years, my side spray base has broken off under the countertop. I have the replacement part from Moen. I've noticed the plastic is a different color now, hopefully this one won't break. I'm assuming I need to disconnect the sprayer at the hydrolock in order to replace the base, but I can't find any instructions on how to open a hydrolock. I don't want to break it, but I don't seem to be able to push the tabs through on my own. Is there a trick to opening it? Any advice on how to keep the base from snapping off again? I swear I am not mistreating this sprayer...

moen_hydrolock_clip.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jillians

Reaction score
Actually the hydrolock is easy to open once you know how to do it. Sadly I couldn't find that info *anywhere* on Moen's website. Problem solved, took about 10 minutes.

Follow up question: I used the wider side of the undercounter base. The one for thicker countertops. I could've used the longer side because of the size of the hole. This would've put my threaded connection partially through the countertop, and that's how it was previously installed. I'm wondering if that contributed to the breakage in some way, or does it really not matter as long as I have a firm connection between the spray base and the countertop?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It probably does not matter. I question how it could have broken in the first place, since once it is tightened to the countertop, there should be no possible way to stress it.

jillians

Reaction score
I wondered that myself. All I can say is, twice in two years... I don't have kids who might be abusing it. I rarely even use it. Maybe overtightened? Too much torque? I just hand tightened it, which seems to be fine. It was a gray plastic threaded stem. This time the replacement has a white plastic stem, hopefully it's stronger.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That was my point. Once it is tightened into the countertop, it is almost impossible to abuse it because there is no way to apply any leverage which could break it. And the only way it could break if it was tightened too much, would be if the countertop itself was "expanding" creating massive stress which would pull it apart. If that is the case, then even hand tight may be too much and it will crack again.

jillians

Reaction score
It's kind of a strange break pattern, which is why I posted the pictures. Unless you just squeezed the tube portion of the base with enough force to crack the stem. It's a granite slab countertop. Even if it could expand (seems unlikely, but I'm no expert), to break two in two years... I'd expect to have trouble with the other parts of the faucet. I'm thinking there was an inherent flaw in the plastic. Maybe the grey plastic stem looked more like metal but was weak or flawed.

So this is not a common occurance with Moen side sprayers? I wonder...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is not only uncommon, but I have never been able to break one off, and always have to unscrew them. The granite may not expand, but if it has plywood under it, that could if it got wet. The other parts of the faucet are metal so they should not have any problem.

jillians

Reaction score
No plywood. Good point about the other sink parts being metal. I guess time will tell if the white one lasts...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks