MOEN Faucet Quality/Reliability

Users who are viewing this thread

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
I have rental property and need to install a new bathroom faucet.
I can get a good deal on a Moen Villeta L64721

I need it to be reliable, and long lasting..
Is Moen a good quality generally?
Is the finish durable?
Has anyone had any experience w/ this Moen Villeta L64721?

Thanks for the help.

PS I accidentally put this in the shower/tub forum first.
You can delete that if possible.

bigbird

Reaction score
I have found that Moen cartridges get stiff and don't operate smoothly after 1-2 years of service, faster in areas of harder water. Their finishes are very good, they stay shiny after many years. The plastic cap covering the screw to get at the cartridge will discolor and get moldy very easily. I used to swear by Moen, now I'm a big Delta fan. Their cartridges remain smooth after many years of service.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
I have found that Moen's PR is excellent. If there are any problems with any of their products, I simply call their 1-800 number and within 3 working days, they will send me the parts, to my door free of charge

E

elvisclock

Check with your supply house. We take the old Moen cartridges to our supply house and they give us new ones for free.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Delta

IF the customer is paying for them then what difference does it make if they cost $50.00 as long as you can repair the faucet immediately. If you call Delta, you do not make a profit on the cartridge and you have to wait a week or so, then make a second trip to the customer to install it.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have a 38 year old Moen Shower valve... I have replaced the cartridge twice in it!

When I install a Moen valve or faucet I tell the customer to call Moen first and get the parts then call me for installation when they have the part. If I am called and they don't have the part on hand I will charge them for the part.

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
I have a Delta kitchen faucet that had a problem w/ the ball and the spray handle (it was the kind w/ the spray handle/spout all in one) and they sent a new one quickly and I haven't had a problem since (4 yrs).

I want to get the least problematic but customer service/warranty is important too

Is all this cartridge replacing more or less common w/ Moen compared to other brands?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Every faucet at some point will need to be renewed... The key is using one that will be worth putting the new parts in and being able to find the parts.

I believe Moen is about the most painless as all you do is call 1-800-BUY-MOEN talk with them about 5 minutes and the parts will be at your doorstep next day air! They do the right think when it comes to customer service!

I recently had a customer that I was at his house working on another project. He asked me about a leak on his kitchen faucet. It was a Moen pull out style that was originally installed when he bought his house new 15 years before. The part that was leaking was the vac breaker which I figured would be a pain for me to find. I told him to call Moen. He came back and said that they told him they were unusually busy and they would call him back in 10 minutes. They did call back as stated and he came back and said, "You're not going to believe this... They said my faucet was obsolete and they don't have the part... They are sending me a new faucet!" Yes, I believe they are the benchmark for customer service under guarantee in the faucet industry!

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
The problem with Moen is that they used to be bulletproof. But then fashion reared its ugly head. I really hated to install a kitchen faucet and have the handle break off within a month. Yes, they're good on parts for the consumer, but who makes the free trip back to install the parts?

For a while, they had a serious problem with a new machine that stuffed the cartridge into the faucet. While I was bragging how great the Moen faucet was, it was spraying the customer's ceiling. Guess who got to replace the defective part for free?

Many of their new faucet designs incorporate a very thin machine screw. Invariably, this screw comes loose or falls out. Every time I pass a Moen faucet, I check to make sure the screw is still tight. In kitchen faucets, this screw, left untightened, may cause more damage to the faucet. And finding the screw at the local hardware store isn't going to be easy. Guess how much Moen pays me for this constant repair of their "lifetime" faucets?

Little by little, they've been cutting costs on their construction. Tub valve parts that used to be metal are now plastic, and the plastic parts are more cheaply made.

Their motto should be: "Buy it for looks, buy it for hype."

Since they got in bed with Homey and Low e's and the retail cost of similar faucets is less than the wholesale price at the supply house, it's become impossible to compete with the big box stores. They've been cutting the plumber out of the loop.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The plastic stuff is what was made just for big box!

Do all Moen products consist of one standard of quality regardless of whether the distributor is a retail or wholesale supplier?
Moen's production line does not differentiate between wholesale and retail models. There is only one grade of brass, only one grade of cartridge and only one grade of warranty coverage - the best. While the numbering system for Moen's wholesale distributors and retail distributors may vary and subtle installation and trim differences may exist (these may include, but are not limited too, packaging, threaded or slip-fit style tub spouts and metallic or non-metallic drain assemblies). The quality and limited lifetime warranty against leaks, drips, materials, and workmanship remain the same for all of our products.
http://www.moen.com/consumersupport/FAQs/

The higher quality faucets are still at the supply house. If the customer buys it at big box its their probem... I installed properly and that is the extent of my guarantee. If its defective I can be paid twice for the same job. That is the risk the customer takes when they supply the parts.

If I get sent to a customer and they have not already obtained the part from Moen I'm not waiting for a free part and returning... I'm selling them the part and installing it in one trip.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks