Moen Faucet Cartridges

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Fatmobile, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Fatmobile

Fatmobile New Member

Me and my Dad recently replaced one. I was wondering how they work. Are there any diagrams of how the water flow works. So far my understanding is that the hot and cold water come to the same point and based on which way you turn it, the water will mix to be hotter or colder. From looking at the cartridge it seemed a lot more complicated and I was wondering what all the parts do?

Thanks, and sorry if it is too broad a question.
    I may add a picture.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The cold water comes in from one side and the hot from the other. With Moen it doesn't make any difference which sides they are on. The center "spool" rotates from one side to the other. Depending on where it is positioned, the opening only flows cold water, hot water, or a varying mixture as it rotates from one side to the other.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

You have the basic idea. In addition to the function of mixing, the cartridge has to have seals which keep water from leaking out around the cartridge stem and body. That is some of the items you pointed to in the picture.
  4. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

Pop the center stem out and you'll see how they work! Pretty simple little devices.
  5. Fatmobile

Fatmobile New Member

I guess I was asking what the holes in the middle of the cartridge are for. I have the general idea of how it works.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The holes at the bottom are where the water comes into the mixer.