Moen Chateau knob replacement ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rbs187

Reaction score
I am having trouble finding a replacement knob for my Moen shower. I would think this would have been a simple job but I was mistaken. Hoping it is just me and there is an easy fix out there.

I have a Moen, moentype faucet I think, see image below that came with house I bought. I am trying to find a replacement knob and am having no luck. The knob is loose and you have to be careful when wanting to change hot or cold.

Can anyone direct me to the right knob part ? Or must I replace whole cartridge ? Or is there some adapter on the cartridge, the metal piece in front preventing the replacement handle from working ?

I have already purchased one replacement that did not work online. It may have been a posi temp handle so I am hoping that was issue. But still need some guidance and photo of backside of non-posi temp replacement handle.

IMG_5521.JPG
IMG_5518.JPG

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Last edited:

Rbs187

Reaction score
Hey

Thanks for the quick response. I think I am finding that the cartridge maybe has an old school limiter on it ? Is this what the metal piece is coming out of the cartridge from the wallplate ? Any advice on the easiest way to remove this if it is a limiter ? This metal piece seems to be what is preventing me from installing the new knob/handle. I get what you guys are saying about the new knob not needing the metal insert my concern is with the metal piece coming out of stem that will not allow me to get the screw to meet the inner part of the cartridge in the stem. I don't know how to remove it.

Thanks in advance

New home novice

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You are ignoring what we are telling you. It is NOT, repeat NOT, a "limiter". It is a part of the handle which has come apart and is stuck on the stem. PULL IT OFF and throw it away. Hold it with a pair of pliers and "wiggle" it while pulling on the metal part.

Rbs187

Reaction score
Thanks, now I get it sorry I am just starting out and I thought you were referring to the metal piece on old knob but now I get it.

Many thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Those two pieces push together to hold the plastic knob between them, which is why they are NOT needed with a new knob which is one piece and does NOT use them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks