Moen change causes problems

Users who are viewing this thread

paul730

Reaction score
We have a complete Moen tub/ shower set. it has the safety guard against flush=hot shower flash. bath was professionally done about 2 years ago. we wanted to change the shower head to hand held model. bought Moen unit to avoid conflicts.

installed - hot water pressure to shower and tub dropped by more than half. removed new shower head problem stops. called Moen. no help. the man I talked to had no idea why it happened.

troubleshooting.--- attached only the hand held connection without hose-- low pressure. attached only the hose, bypassing the connector-- still low pressure.tried cheap non-Moen hand held from other part of house-- bad pressure. attached nothing--- good pressure.

for now we have given up on having anything but the original Moen shower head.

any words of wisdom????? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Moen

If your just talking the shower head, then look for the restrictor that comes in the head and remove it.

paul730

Reaction score
what does it look like?

non-plumber here. what does it look like? is it also in the hose part? we by passed the center part that connects to the pipe shower head and attached to hose part. still had problem. I hope I am describing this well. many tries.

pipe out of wall

-attach whole Moen unit ---- low pressure
-attach Moen base unit, no hose--- low pressure
-attach Moen hose only to pipe--- low pressure

-attach cheap hand held unit--low pressure

reattach original Moen showerhead---- normal pressure.

:( :confused:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Moen

There may be a clear plastic washer in the shower head, and if you look real good you will see a small slot or hole in that washer. If you find that, then that is a restrictor.........It's there to conserve water........With normal water volume, you have enough water flow at the shower......

I read the other things you said, but haven't got it sorted out...

paul730

Reaction score
how would that effect the tub?

the hot pressure at the tub is also reduced. when we take off the showerhead the pressure returns. I know this is hard to understand, we don't understand either. it is almost like a vapor lock happens when we put on a different head. pressure drops at tub and shower head.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks