Moen cartridge. I think I am an idiot

Users who are viewing this thread

Joaquin Barbaa

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the forum and I am sure this has been asked before but I have not been able to find the answer. I am trying to replace a Moen cartridge in a shower faucet but I cant find a way to remove the handle. no set screw, nothing to pry. I was not able to find the model of the faucet on the Moen site. Please help!

Faucet (2).JPG
Faucet (3).JPG
Faucet (1).JPG

JRC3

Reaction score
The chrome cap on the end of the handle should pry off revealing a screw underneath.
I was thinking that too..But it seems like it sticks out awful far compared to the typical clear covers. I pry the old clear ones off by starting with a utility knife blade to make a bit of a gap and not gouge things up, then use my fingernails or a screwdriver to get the rest. I would carefully try that on this one. Another option might be to get a new pair of nitrile coated work gloves for good grip and see if the front chrome piece is maybe threaded on. If it is a push in type then the twisting should still get it out.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Here's a different knob for pretty much the same mixer, but it's pretty much the same concept:

026508059524.jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you want to protect the finish on the cap when you use an adjustable wrench to unscrew it, use a rag.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks