MOEN Bathtub faucet is leaking....not sure what to do

Users who are viewing this thread

P0kerMunkee

Reaction score
Hi,

I demo'd my main bathroom, but won't have the contractor in for another 2-3 weeks to finish it up.

My issue is the spout is dripping water, about 20oz in 8hrs. It was leaking before, but now that there is no tub to catch it, it's an issue.

How do I fix this valve body? It's nothing I have seen in HOW TO videos online. Do I need to have my plumber fix this or is something I can easilly do?

tub.jpg

Thanx :)
PM

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are you planning on reusing that when you rebuild the bathroom, or replacing it? If replacing it (well, it really doesn't matter), I'd go pick up a Sharkbite end cap, clean the pipe up a bit, slide it on and it's capped...doesn't matter if the valve leaks or not! You'd need two, on on the spout outlet and a second on the shower riser since when you plug one, eventually, it would leak out the other opening. You may be able to use a plug on the shower arm. Don't forget some tape or pipe dope on the threaded connection...don't put anything on the Sharkbite.

If you are going to reuse it, then a new cartridge would probably solve the issue as well.

P0kerMunkee

Reaction score
Thanks, that is also what I was thinking.

Would you guys get a new cartridge or have the plumber install a new valve?

The house is almost 30 years old. Does it matter?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A 30-year old valve probably does NOT meet current anti-scald rules, so yes, I'd replace it. You'll likely have a lot more choices on trim as well. Personally, I like a thermostatically controlled valve, but by no means are they required - an anti-scald one, though, is. There are single handle (on/off/volume), two handle (often concentric) for volume and temp, and thermostatic (usually two handles, one for temp and one for volume). on mine, I don't really change the temp dial winter/summer, first shower, last shower.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you replace the cartridge do NOT use anything other than one with the Moen name on it. Especially NOT one labeled "for use in Moen faucets". If you do not want to change the valve, call 1-800-BUYMOEN and have them send you an OEM 1225 cartridge.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks