Moen bathroom faucet cartridge replacing

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Hube, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Hube

Hube New Member

Our bathroom basin faucet knob is very hard {sticky} to pull up. There is a "cartridge" inside that can be removed and either replaced or cleaned of any gook accumulation. I have had no experience with these cartridges, so I'm asking whether its worth trying to replace or clean this cartridge, or just go and buy the whole complete faucet assembly. Thanks for any info.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

moen

It is probably a brass core, and it is definitely cheaper to replace it than install a new faucet. But, whether YOU can do it depends on how tight it is stuck in the valve. I have six different tools to remove it, and sometimes it takes more than one to accomplish the task. IF you start hammering, chiseling, or drilling it, you WILL have to replace the entire valve. Call a good plumber who has the necessary tools to remove it. Once it is removed, there is absolutely no reason to reuse the old one.
  3. JerryR

JerryR Member

Moen has lifetime warranty. If you call them they will send you parts needed. When asked if you are the original purchaser say yes.

They will also provide instructions on repair.

Jerry
  4. Hube

Hube New Member

Jerry, you were absolutely right!! I phoned Moen
    and they said they would sent out the new cartridge including the special tool to remove/install the cartridge. No charge to me at all. Thanks for your "heads-up'
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The special tool they send is plastic. It breaks as soon as you try to turn it. We'll be waiting for your call!