Moen 1225 leaking after a year

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hi all,
Replaced a 1225 cartridge a little over a year ago and this last week it started to leak. It only leaks in the middle position, all hot or cold (in the off position) seals it shut.

I took off the trim and it has the same behavior with pliers moving the cartridge as the handle, so it's not the trim binding or pushing on it funny.

It is a Moen brand, but bought at HD, not sure if they make a "cheapo" version for HD like some other products, but I would imagine this would last more than a year.

1) Anything I should check in addition to the cartridge?
2) Should I go with a 1200 (all brass) instead this time?
3) I heard they will warranty the cartridge -- how does one go about doing this?

Thanks,
Anthony

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Junk in the water (as you might get if there is old galvanized piping anywhere in the system) will
make even the finest faucet cartridges fail early.

Reaction score
So I bought one and it swapped in easily. While I was there, I flipped the old cartridge around a few times and shut off the hot and cold to experiment. It is leaking internally on the hot side, whatever that is worth. The unit looks fine, but the new unit sealed right up.

I told Moen about it and they sent me a free unit that I will leave in the plumbing toolbox (I have 2 showers and 1 faucet that use this cartridge so it will come in handy). They didn't say it was a warranty, just as a courtesy -- but free is free and they were very helpful about it.

Thanks for the help all!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks